Food Packaging - Technology Used In Food Biotechnology
Packaging can be defined as the way to protect our food that contains essential nutritional values in such a way that the environmental impact is least. The primary role of the food packaging is to deliver a food that is protected from the outer environment and prevent damage from abrasion, nutritional values written on it and food safety is prior.
Food packaging technology is mainly for ensuring safer delivery of products to the consumers at a minimal cost. It ensures the protection of materials by means of containers designed to isolate the contents to some known degree from put side influences.
- PAPER: paper packaging is good for dry foods in which there is not any water content
- PAPER BOARD: it is thicker than paper which consists multiple layers and hence is more durable than the paper
- GLASS: it has good barrier properties , it maintains freshness of the product for much time , it can also withstand high temperature.
- PLASTIC: these can be used to manufacture retortable packages with high melting point or thermosealable packages with low melting point.
- METALS: it is the most versatile form of all the packaging materials, they provide excellent protection to the packaged food from the damage, they are vacuum sealed for the purpose of food packaging.
- EDIBLE PACKAGING: In this type of packaging , the packaging material can also be eaten along with the food product.
- MICRO PACKAGING: Using nanotechnology , an ultra micro thin layer is coated on the food product which would solely water and soluble polymer.
- SMART PACKAGING:This type of packaging would contain sensors that would really tell the consumers whether the food they are consuming is consumable or not.
- WATER SOLUBLE PACKAGING: It would contain food packaging pouches that would dissolve in water and the food can be consumed, further some advancements are to be made only primary packaging is feasible now, secondary packaging protecting food from contamination is still to be practiced.